Spinach and artichoke dip is one of my very favorite things to eat, even before I was vegan. But many of the recipes are based on vegan mayonnaise and I don’t want to eat that much mayonnaise all at once.
I recently had dinner at a favorite local restaurant and got a cashew based spinach and artichoke dip. I got inspired! I thought I might be able to make my own. Then I did and scarfed it down.
What is needed:
- 1 can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 cup tightly packed baby spinach, chopped
- 1 and 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked for at least four hours if using a regular blender
- 1 cup water
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice from a lemon
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, about three cloves
- Dash of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
What to do:
- Place cashews in a blender and pulse blend medium until chopped as much as the blender will allow. If using a high speed blender, can skip soaking the cashews
- Add everything but the artichokes and spinach. Blend on high speed until very smooth. Add extra water if using a regular blender, two tablespoons at a time, if not blending well. Use no more than another half a cup of water. If using a high speed blender, blend like making a soup. Till smooth and hot
- If using a regular blender, move cashew sauce to a pan and cook, stirring continuously, on medium heat until thick and hot
- Place artichokes and spinach in a large bowl. Pour cashew sauce over the vegetables and mix
- Serve hot
Yummers! Let me know what you think!